Friday, January 16, 2009

Broken Rocker

Well it finally happened.  I broke a chair.  Actually it has happened before.  It's an old chair so leave me alone lol.  This chair that was in Chips moms room that she's had for a long time, when she passed away we put it in the living room.  It's not a rocking chair, it's a regular chair that rocks.  A rocking chair would be all wood, this has fabric and springs etc.

What makes the chair rock are these 2 giant springs that are attached to 2 pieces of wood at the bottom of the chair and the springs are also attached to the chair.  Well, a year ago the springs broke where it's welded, 1 spring broke and we asked our neighbor Dan who worked in a shop if he would reweld it for us because that's what he does.  So he did and then the other spring broke in the same way and so he fixed that too.  Well, it didn't take long before one of them broke again but we never had him fix it a 2nd time.  The other spring just broke at the weld again so we're retiring that chair lol.

I'm just too heavy to be able to sit in an old chair and rock it.  If it were a new(ish) chair like a recliner chair then I'm sure it would be a lot better.  This one made so many noises when I would rock in it, like squeeking sounds, you know because the springs needed oil or something.  I've sprayed WD40 on them and they didn't stop squeeking.  But I've sat in recliner chairs at the furniture stores and they never squeeked.

I would love to get a new chair but I just can't afford it, even a used one.  So, I moved the rocking chair and put a regular chair in it's place so now no more rocking hehe.  Oh well.

No comments: