Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Boogers

boogersWhat's up with boogers?  Why do we have them?  Stop laughing, I'm being serious lol ok I tried saying that with a straight face.

Why am I talking about boogers?  I have sleep apnea and I sleep with a mask that blows air in my lungs via my nose all night long to keep me alive long enough to live another day.  So when I wake up I immediately have to blow my nose because that air dries my "mucus"  which forms boogers lol.

So I was just curious as to know what it is and why we have them.

This comes from Squidoo.com:

What are Boogers and Where Do They Come From?


Why do we get boogers?




In order to understand about boogers, you have to know about mucus. Mucus is that slimy stuff that oozes from your nose when you have a cold. You might know it better by the more common name, snot.


Mucus has a very important part in our bodies. In the respiratory system (your nose, throat, and lungs), it keeps nasty things like dust and germs out of your lungs. These things get stuck in snot and your lungs are kept safe.


When these things get in the nose, they get trapped in the mucus, and then they dry and clump together to form boogers!



So even though they are annoying and gross, apparently they are very important.  So in order for me to protect my lungs, I gotta support the tissue industry.

No comments: