Monday, December 29, 2008

Google 911?

Recently I asked a Rhapsody question and got a response within 24 hours on my own blog straight from the horses mouth.  So... now I want to ask a question for Google.

This year I found out that Google had come out with 1-800-GOOG-411 to make free 411 calls.  Their service is so amazing, you call and it asks you business name, city and state.  You say like pizza hut bakersfield california and it automatically came up with a pizza hut on Stockdale hwy and said that it would connect me now or if I needed more listings to say so.  Awesome!  411 calls are outrageously expensive being that you get 3 free 411 calls per month but after that it's $1 per 411 call.  Thanks google.

But how about this?  I'm thinking about canceling my home phone service and buying one of the new Nokia Skype phones from Skype.com because it's only $3 a month for unlimited local and long distance calls.  I already got my goog 411 so now what about 911?  Skype doesn't offer 911 like Vonage does so how bout it google?  Are you going to ever offer that?

Google is a great company, I'm sure they can come up with an automated 911 service that asks you what your emergency is and you just tell the computer and then it asks you if you need a cop, fireman or ambulance and then it dispaches those services without needing to talk to an operator.  Or they could give you the option to be connected to the actual 911 in your city.

The phone company isn't going to last much longer thanks to internet calling like Skype and Vonage so if landlines are gone forever (sorry ma bell) then we need a 911 replacement.

No comments: