Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The wait for Kindle 2

While all of the people who have already ordered the Kindle 2 have to wait for their Kindle to be delivered to them, I will have to wait just a bit longer than that.  I simply don't have the money and in today's economy I just can't justify spending the money on something I really don't need.

I just don't read that much.  I thought maybe if I had one then perhaps I would read more.  Unfortunately though that probably won't be the case.  I would probably get my Kindle then read a book, maybe 2 books then I'd probably never pick it up again.  At least for awhile that is.

Sure I might buy a subscription to a newspaper and just give it to Chip to read that every morning and he could take it to Church with him every Sunday (yes, there is a bible available for the Kindle) but for me, I just can't justify it.

I want it but I don't need it.  I have lots of books that I still haven't even read.  I've tried to but I just can't get into them.  And I've already paid for them.  What am I gonna do, type them out so I can read them on my Kindle?  I don't think so.

So what my plan to do is just set aside maybe $20 or $30 every month in my PayPal account and then in a year when I have the money saved up to buy a Kindle if I still want it then I'll buy it.  But only if I can.  I mean, if I've had to spend some of that money on groceries or for emergency bills then of course I will have to use that saved money.  But if that isn't the case and I still have it then I might buy it.

But given the fact that it would take a whole year (saving $30 a month would be exactly 12 months) to save up the money, by then they may have the Kindle 3.  And who knows what the Kindle 3 will feature.  Maybe a bigger display, bigger hard drive than the now 2GB for the kindle 2.  Color display.  Touch screen to flip pages and to highlight text.  Maybe it might be a little less money by then?

I'm hoping that in a year if I have the money all saved up that when I am finally able to buy one the price might have gone down, our local newspaper will be Kindleized, the kindle will be in color and have touchscreen and have a 20-200GB hard drive.  Because I just don't want to spend money on something that can only hold 1,500 books, magazines, newspapers and blogs and still be in black and white.

I'm going to hold out for the best and why shouldn't I?  I'm also going to hype it up to everyone I know so they will be so excited about it that they will buy a Kindle 2 for themselves then they will hype it up and so on and so forth then 50% of America will have a Kindle all thanks to me hyping it up.  By that time, the Kindle 3 should cost $100.

No comments: