Sunday, March 01, 2009

Why I would like a Kindle

I'm going to save money for a Kindle 3.  I know it's not out yet but I mean seriously, buy the time I have the money raised for it they will have the Kindle 3 on sale.  Yes, it will take me that long to raise the money.

I would like a Kindle because I do read a lot and when I read in my room I'm always having to change the way I sit so I can read the book.  The lighting in my room isn't great so if I had a Kindle I could stay in 1 position a lot longer and not be disturbed.  Also, if I had to go get a coffee refill I could set it down on the desk and not worry about putting the bookmark in and closing the book.  Not that that is a huge issue.

I would also like a Kindle because books are expensive and I normally don't make that much money to be able to buy books.  If a book comes out that's $30 I can't buy it until it's out on paperback because it's cheaper.  I normally would have to go to the library and check it out then I would have a limited time to read it before I had to return it.

Another reason is that we had to stop the newspaper because it was too expensive.  We just don't have the money anymore.  And although the Bakersfield Californian isn't yet available for the Kindle, perhaps by the time the Kindle 3 is out maybe it will be.  But $10 is a lot easier to handle for me to pay for the newspaper than whatever the price it is each month.  I don't know how much it was because I wasn't paying for it because I don't read it but apparently it was costing a fortune.  If I had a Kindle 2 now I could get a subscription to the LA Times which Chip likes to buy on occasion.  We used to live in LA.

I would like a Kindle 2 now but I just can't afford it.  I have it in my Amazon wish list just in case I do get the money for it but I doubt I will ever be able to buy it.  I will just have to wait a year until I have the money saved.  But then again, I probably won't be able to save the money because as soon as I run out of money every month I will have to start spending the saved money at the grocery store.

I just hope this recession ends soon and the economy gets back on track so I can set aside $30 a month.  Actually if the economy gets back on track and we can get our jobs back or new jobs then I will be able to set aside more than $30 a month, perhaps I can set aside $50 or $75 or even $100 a month for it and get it a lot faster.

Edit: I was just thinking that a Sony Digital Book is $60 cheaper than the Amazon Kindle so why would I want the Kindle?  Because Amazon charges way less for the e-books than Sony does.  Plus Amazon has the newspapers and magazines and you can browse their website for free without needing to be in a wifi hotspot as if you were on a cell phone and you can view wikipedia for free.  The money you save from newspapers alone are enough to want the Kindle.

No comments: