Sunday, April 26, 2009

YouTube Movies and TV Shows

I'm a bit behind in the news.  I know that YouTube has movies and TV Shows or they just added that recently.  Yesterday I watched "The Blue Lagoon".  I never saw it.  It came out in 1980 and I was 10 at the time so I wasn't able to see it for obvious reasons.  It's rated R.  Not only that but I'd have to be an adult to really get it.  So I watched it and really understood it.  Such a sad and happy ending.

Anyway, they don't have a whole lot of movies and TV shows yet because they just started but I'm sure they will have every movie and TV show ever made available for all to see.

I usually watch TV shows on Hulu because they have them like the very next day usually after airing on TV.  Sometimes I have to wait a few days after the show airs on TV but it's not too long.  And you can subscribe to TV shows on Hulu so they email you to let you know a show is on their website so you don't miss it.

This will certainly put Netflix out of business if people are able to just watch their movies right from YouTube.  Netflix is going to have to think fast and lower their prices and offer unlimited viewing through their website to compete.

The movies and tv shows you watch on YouTube do have commercials.  I was thinking that perhaps watching YouTube movies is like stealing from the actors and the production companies but the commercials probably make up for that.  The Blue Lagoon had like 10 commercials, it was all the same commercial just played every 10 minutes or so.  So that probably pays for it all so YouTube can continue showing them for free.

It's the same thing as watching regular TV, you still have to watch commercials, but only 1 commercial, not 2 minutes worth of commercials.  More like 1 30 second commercial.  I think that I can handle being interrupted every 10 or so minutes by a 30 second commercial and be able to watch it for free than have to wait for the movies to come in the mail via Netflix and have it scratched and unplayable or have it come to me broken or never even receive it at all.  Which has happened to me by the way.  But that's another blog post for another time.

All in all I give YouTube a big thumbs up for making it available for free.

1 comment:

John790 said...

Very nice site!