Thursday, September 10, 2009

D&D Online For Free

A couple of years ago I was making the rounds and trying all the online games.  I did the 7-10 day trial on many games like World of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings online, EQ 2 etc.

I did like D&D Online and I played it for a couple of days but I just couldn't pay their monthly fee because I was playing EQ at the time.  Well, I was taking a break from EQ to do these other games trials but I was still paying for EQ.

But now it's free to play.  So all you have to do is click Dungeons and Dragons Online™: Eberron Unlimited™ and download the version that is suitable for your system.

I will most likely create a new character with the name Xanapus.  I will be on server Ghallanda

Edit: The more I think about it the more it reminds me of when EverQuest came out with a standalone game called Escape to Norrath which was a free EQ game but you could only get up to level 10 and that's it.  You can't go further and so basically if you liked what you saw then you can buy the full version of EQ and pay a monthly fee.  So I will be skeptical about this until I find out if this is the same deal or not.

ddoddo

Click the image to see it full size.  This is the character selection screen.  I've already created my character XANAPUS who is a halfling cleric.  The character I created is excellent for solo gameplay who can heal as well as do battle.  I'm level 1 obviously because I just created it but I'm sure if I play it long enough I will get higher in level depending on if I continue playing it and if this is just a way  to get people to buy the game and the subscription.  Maybe I might like it though, who knows.

Edit: I played some of it today and noticed how it was saying something about being able to get up to level 20 which confirms my suspicions that this will only let you get to level 20 then after that they give you the option to buy the software and pay their monthly fee.

The only thing that pisses me off about this is that after about 5 or 10 minutes it shuts down then to get back into the game you have to reload it.  Maybe there is some setting I can change.

1 comment:

Mikes Blog » Blog Archive » Dungeons & Dragons Online Gameplay said...

[...] Since I’m not paying a dime for it, it was real fun hehe.  As I said in my previous post D&D Online For Free you get unlimited play for [...]