Thursday, September 03, 2009

Wasp Spray for Protection

I got this email today about using Wasp spray instead of pepper spray.  I don't make it a habit of posting emails that were sent to me but I thought this was particularly interesting because of what Snopes had to say about it.  I wanted to see if it was true but it says Mixture.

It clearly states on the label of wasp spray "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling".  So right there it tells you that it's illegal to use this for anything other than killing wasps or bees.  Of course that is for their own legal benefit so that they don't get sued when people spray each other in the face with this stuff.

Whether the police department advocates using this is all dependent on your local city or state police policy.  It says in this email that it blinds you until you can get to the hospital for the antidote.  Which could take a long time especially if you are blind at the time.  If you are incapacitated how are you going to call 911 or drive to the hospital?

It also says in Snopes that robbers use it to incapacitate people so they can get your money easier so you don't resist and you can't run away.  I personally don't think that telling people about using wasp spray is a good idea because it's putting ideas into peoples heads which I guess I just did.

I didn't paste the email but it has a similar email in that snopes link so check it out and you decide.  Oh and by the way, the email I got today looks like it was changed because it's not the same exact email that is in that snopes article.  Interesting how emails change over time.

No comments: