Tuesday, April 21, 2009

TV Dinners

Remember TV dinners?  I can remember how my mom didn't feel like cooking so she would put the TV dinners in the oven and it would take probably 45 minutes to cook them all.  They had aluminum pans and so when you were done you could literally crumble your plate up and throw it in the trash.

I think in the 90's they did an overhaul of the TV dinners by putting them in plastic containers and made it possible to microwave them.  But over the years the plates and the portions have gotten smaller and smaller.

Now you can buy a TV dinner for $1.  Well, not all of them but the Banquet ones are almost always on sale for $1 at the grocery store.  But you gotta remember, you get what you pay for because the portions are very tiny.  They are the perfect size for children but if you are a big guy like me, sometimes it can take 3 of these dinners to even make a dent in my huge stomach.  And even then I'm still hungry.

I'm all for microwaving my food but there are certain things that aren't meant to be put in the microwave.  Like for example the pizzas in these Banquet dinners.  First of all, the portion on the box is bigger than the portion in the box and then when it's finished cooking it's all slimy on the bottom and the cheese isn't even cooked all the way and the bread is mostly hard as a rock around the edges.

The Chicken nuggets meals are ok but the nuggets start to petrify if you put it in too long and usually too long is the amount of time they say to put it in.

And what's up with putting pudding into TV dinners?  Come on!  I don't want hot pudding lol.  I like my pudding to be cold right out of the fridge and sometimes we put pudding cups in the freezer to make them colder and they get a little frozen so it's kinda like fudgesicles minus the stick.

I do like the Banquet TV dinners for the variety though and the price is right.  I just wish the portions were a little bigger.

No comments: