Thursday, August 20, 2009

Resistance is Futile

Why is it that some people just resist new technology but not all technology?

Chip had to go on 3 deliveries this morning for his job but before he left the house he needed me to "mapquest" the directions for him.  I don't like Map Quest because a lot of times you type in the correct address and it tells you that there is no such address so you have to choose what they say is the address and sometimes it just isn't the right directions so you have to find your way while you are lost.

This morning in particular Map Quest was freezing my computer making it very difficult for me to even type the directions.  He was in a hurry too so he kept saying that I had too much shit on my computer lol.

So he left and said he would call me for the directions, as if I'm On Star.  So after he left I went to Google Maps and typed in the addresses to get the directions and it loaded lickety split.  I was then able to print it out and call him up and tell him to come back for the printed directions.

I keep telling him, you need a GPS.  His response is always that someone is going to steal it.  Not true.  When you get to work you can put it under the seat or take it in with you and when you get home you can bring it in the house.  When he leaves the van sitting outside all night long with thousands upon thousands of dollars in merchandise he doesn't want to have to worry that seeing the GPS is going to make someone want to break in only to discover all the merchandise in the van.  Well, bring it in with you or leave it sitting with all that merchandise in the back of the van lol.

Well he gets his check today, he normally gets paid every other Friday and tomorrow is Friday but he has the day off so he'll probably get his check today.  So, I will try to talk him into buying a GPS.

I actually have a GPS for my laptop, it's the Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 program that I bought in 2007 and it has a little GPS that plugs into the USB of your laptop but he can't use that for 2 reasons.  1 he won't be able to see it if it's on the passenger seat and 2 he won't be able to hear the voice prompts because the voice is so noisy.  So, he really needs a dashboard mounted GPS that he can see up close.  I'll work on him later, try to really sell it lol.

No comments: