Monday, September 21, 2009

Drop Everything, and Read!

Drop Everything, and Read! - Source ReadWriteThink.org

The teacher shouts, "Drop Everything and Read!" and students settle into their seats to read books they've selected.


This independent reading is much more than a just-sit-there-and-read experience. It gives the teacher a structured time to touch base with each student over a period of time, assess progress, and target instruction. Even more important, it gives students time to read what they want to read, share what they've read, and receive the support they need for further reading explorations and reflections.



Brilliant!  Absolutely brilliant.  When I was a kid my mother read a story to me and my sister every night before bed after she tucked us in.  But then those stories went away when she got pregnant with my younger sister.  I remember reading some books in my youth such as the Hardy Boys books and Ramona the pest.  I had a bunch of those books with pictures that are easy for children to read like Curious George.  I wasn't a huge reader in my childhood though, I mean when it comes to novels but I did read books meant for children.  I also read lots of comic books lol.

I think that this is a very good idea.  Drop everything and read for 15 minutes.  Brilliant.  But is 15 minutes really enough time?  And should this be something that is strictly for schools?  I think that this should be adopted at home too.  All of a sudden your parents go "STOP EVERYTHING AND READ".  But not 15 minutes.  I mean sure, if it's one of those books with pictures that only takes 10 minutes to read fine, 15 minutes is fine.  It will give the children with ADD and Dyslexia a chance to re-read each sentence.  But I think that they should read for a bit longer.  Maybe 2 hours?

Reading should be something that is mandatory for all children and adults. The drama stirs the imagination and that is what brings ideas to life.  How can a child think of something to draw if there is nothing brewing up there in the old noggin if he/she isn't reading?

J.K. Rowling brought Harry Potter to us all, children and adults.  Before that I'd say that I haven't read a book since my childhood.  In 2006 I decided that I need to start reading and so my first novel was a Buffy novel but that lead to reading Harry Potter which was by far the easiest thing to read.

Well I think that it's a good idea and they should make it longer and should be brought into the home.  Maybe if the kids stopped playing video games and started reading then perhaps it might get them to get out of the house and go play with their friends.  That way they can get some exercise.  That is if the parents aren't too paranoid to let their kids go out the front door.

No comments: