Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rogaine Foam

I've been thinking about it a lot lately.  I'd like my hair back.  I started noticing I was going bald when I was 16 years old because the hair on the top of my head was a lot thinner than the rest of my head.  I have thick hair so having thin hair on the top was a very large clue that something was going wrong.

When I was 19 I already had a bald spot on the top of my head and was already being called chrome dome by my brother-in-law (ex now).  That was when I first heard about Rogaine but it was too expensive so I just never tried it.  I worked at Clark Drugs in Canoga Park at the time and the pharmacist confronted me telling me all about Rogaine lol.  He never spoke to me until they came out with Rogaine.  He gave me a brochure and let me take home a video to watch then return it.

At first I was excited about it until I saw how much it cost.  I think it was $50-$60 per month back then but now it's gotten a lot cheaper.  Naturally 20 years later I decide to think about it.

rogaine foamI've been seeing all these Rogaine Foam commercials on tv and so I decided to go to their website and check it out.  You can buy a pack of 4 cans of the Rogaine Foam for $60 but that is a 4 month supply.  If you break it down that makes each can $15.  If you buy 1 can it's $30 so yeah it's worth buying a 4 month supply.

Walmart sells it (not online though) for $47.97.  It's not a 4 month supply but more a 3 month supply but that breaks down to $16 per can which is still a good price and well worth it.

Walgreens is actually cheaper.  Well, it's currently on sale for $44.99 but that just brings the price down to $15 per can.  Their regular price is $49.99 which is $16.66 per can.

So knowing that it's cheaper than it was 20 years ago I'm giving this some serious thought.  If I buy it I think I'm going to buy it from Walmart since I don't want to pay shipping costs from the Rogaine website.

If I do start using Rogaine again it's going to have to be for the rest of my life.  It's not an easy fix, it does grow your hair back (in 85% of men who use it) but once you stop using it the hair you regrew will fall out.  So it's only a temporary fix.

Now I'm completely bald on the top of my head so I wonder if all of that will regrow or if some of it will regrow.  And yes I do realize that it will take 2-4 months before it starts to work which might become frustrating if I'm using it for 4 months before it grows.  I'm the type of person who likes instant action hehe.

I will have to hide it under lock and key though.  Chip will run out of hairspray for his long hair then decide the rogaine foam is like mouse then he will get into the habit of using my rogaine and next thing you know he's Cousin Itt.

cousinitt

3 comments:

mae said...

I think it is better if you use Propecia , it's one of the safest and most powerful natural anti-DHT hair loss solutions available, and it is a natural alternative to pharmaceutical hair loss treatment products. This is the only FDA-approved pill proven to treat male pattern hair loss on the vertex (top of head) and anterior mid-scalp area in men.

Mike said...

Interesting but I think I'm gonna have to stick with Rogaine Foam. The whole reason I am considering hair loss treatment is because Rogaine Foam is finally cheaper than the original Rogaine was 20 years ago when I started going bald. Propecia from that website link you posted is way more expensive than I can afford. Propecia is $145 for a 1 month supply of pills compared to $15 per can of Rogaine Foam. I can afford $15 a month but there is no way I can afford $145 a month for my hair lol.

But thanks for the comment.

Mikes Blog » Blog Archive » Rogaine said...

[...] couple of days ago I made a post about Rogaine Foam and last night I was at the grocery store Albertson’s to buy shampoo and body wash and I saw [...]