Sunday, March 22, 2009

Things we can('t) live without

There are just some things that a person can live without but a lot of those things are essential to daily living.

When we moved to Bakersfield, Chips mom had gardener service.  She was in her late 80's, you can't expect her to mow her own lawn can you?  Of course not.  So she had a gardener.  Well, we continued the gardener service for a couple years after she passed away.  Not because I'm too lazy but because I have allergies.  I can't be out there mowing the lawn because the fresh cut grass smell makes me sneeze, closes my nose up and makes my eyes red and itchy.  And this is me sitting in the house with the windows closed too.

We had to cancel the gardeners though because they were costing too much money and the trust wouldn't pay for it so we had no choice but to just cancel it.  We went to the local hardware store and Chip bought a lawn mower and he bought an electric weed whacker (which we've only used 1 time lol) and I'm the one who had to mow the lawn every week.  I only do it when it grows like from October through February I don't mow it at all because it doesn't grow.  From March to the middle of October I mow it.  Thank goodness I take Claritin though because it pretty much keeps me from sneezing like crazy.

Our back yard is just filled with weeds that are crotch height and our tenants back yard too so I've got to get out there tomorrow and clean that out.

But as soon as Chip gets his first, maybe 2nd check he's going to start the gardener again YAY!

Another thing we can't live without is a stove top.  When Chips mom passed away we moved out of the rental which has a gas stove and we moved into her house which has an electric stove.  Well, he was cleaning the stove top one day and he had too much water on the sponge and it got into where the knobs are and it just shorted out.  We haven't been able to use it since.

A friend bought us a hot plate stove top which is like for when you are having a party and you need 2 extra stove burners.  One has more power than the other but neither of them are powerful enough to even hard boil eggs fast enough.  Normally it would take what, 12 minutes to hard boil an egg?  This thing takes about 30-45 minutes to hard boil eggs lol.  So it's time for a new stove top.  We've lived here for about 4 or 5 years now and during the whole time we haven't had a decent stove top.  I think it was 6 months before my friend sent me that hot plate.  Bless her for it but we need a real stove top lol.

There is 1 thing that we can live without but I would love to have anyway, that's a dishwasher.  OMG I've never had my own dishwasher.  Ever!  In my whole life, even as a kid we never had a dishwasher.  My sister or I was the dishwasher.  When I was in my late teens, early 20's on my own I never had one in any apartment I've lived in.  When I met Chip he had one but it didn't work and we've never had one in the 15 years that we've been together.  I want one but there isn't one built in and I don't think they want to build one in to the cabinetry.  There are 3 drawers and a cabinet to the left of the sink which we don't need but you can bet that they will not destroy the cabinetry to put one in.  Oh well.  It would be nice but I guess I'll have to wait until the next place we move to, that is if we ever leave Bakersfield.

No comments: