Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Busy Body Walmart Employee

We went to Walmart the other day so I could buy some tubes for my bike and when I got to the register this cashier was bitching to us about how these people bought some soda pop using an EBT card.  EBT is like food stamps but in the form of a debit card.

What she said was she told the person buying soda "I don't think that's right that you are buying soda using this card because it has no nutritional value.  You should be buying food with that, not soda".  While I agree with her that they should be using that money to buy things like bread, dairy, cereals, meat etc, it's not her place as a cashier to tell a customer that she doesn't think that it's right that they are buying soda.

It's really none of her business.  Her argument was that food stamp money comes out of her taxes so in a way it kind of is her business but on the other hand she has no right telling that to the customer as an employee of Walmart.  And... I don't want to hear that.  I don't want to go to a cashier and hear them bitching about the previous customer.  Again, I agree with her but I don't want to hear it.  Now if she was off duty and at home then sure, go ahead and bitch about it to your friends and family but don't take it out on the customers.

Her argument was that she can't afford to buy a bottle of water and these people are using her tax dollars to buy soda.  First off, she has no right buying water that is free.  All she has to do is bring a bottle with her to work, like a sports bottle or something, and then fill it up with the water cooler or drinking fountain.  Or fill it up at home with your Brita filter and bring it with you, bring a couple of bottles with you in your purse and keep them in your locker.  Don't keep buying bottled water.  That's not very green.  Me personally, I fill up those 3 gallon bottles, like the sparkletts or arrowhead bottle and I have a ceramic bottle holder with a spout that I use to drink my water.  Now that's green.

2 comments:

The PVC Bike Guy said...

But Mike Every one dose have a right to make a statement, but you are right to as far as I'm concerned. that card should be used to buy only good food. I have witnessed a person who has a card use the cash side to buy over $150.00 with the beer and had children in tow. I don't condone what the worker did state to you but when you see this happen quite a number of times a day well I leave it to you to decide.

Mike said...

LOL yeah everyone has the right to their opinion just like me in this blog but when you are standing there in line waiting to be checked out the last thing you want to see is a checker who is standing there making faces and bitching about how it isn't fair that she can't even afford water (which is FREE lol) and her customers are using their EBT cards to buy soda. I don't care lol. I just want to go home. Save it for the poor bastard in line behind me lol.