Saturday, September 12, 2009

Moxi Vs. TiVo

Disclaimer:  Before you comment read the comments.  I sort of praised this product but apparently it has flaws.  I was looking at the good but not counting that there might be bad and comparing this to TiVo was unfair.  Read my retraction

Everyone has heard of TiVo right?  It's a DVR that records your favorite shows and learns your behavior so it records what it thinks you might like whether you want it to or not.  I personally have always wanted one until now.

I was looking at a previous post, you know, doing one last grammar and spell check and I saw the ad that was produced by Google and it showed this new thing called Moxi.

Moxi is a new kind of DVR service that is way better than TiVo or any cable or satellite service DVR you can get.  Why is it better?  Because all you pay for is the actual unit and that's it.  No monthy fees of $13 from TiVo and no monthly fees of much more from DirectTV or Brighthouse who both charge you for the monthly rental fee of the DVR plus a monthly service fee for the privileged of recording your shows.  Moxi doesn't charge you 1 more dime after you pay for their machine.  They even let you buy it on credit for $40 per month for 20 months.  They have the Moxi mates which are for your other rooms so you don't need a DVR in each room, you just need 1 DVR for the main room then a Moxi Mate for each additional room for $20 each (per month).  Actually if you buy the DVR and the Moxi Mate it's only $50 a month for 20 months.

I will break it down.  Moxi is $800 and each moxi mate is $400.  I won't sugar coat it.  But if you think about it when you buy a TiVo and if you keep it for all these years say like 10 years you are spending over $1000 just for their service.  That's after the $600 that you spent on the box itself.  So technically you are saving money and to be able to pay $40 or $50 a month for 20 months you aren't having to shell out a lot of money at once.

You have to look at their website (link above) before you say yea or nay.  This thing connects to your internet connection which means you watch watch your Hulu shows, Netflix queue, YouTube videos etc.  It even has games you can play.  Just watch the video at the Moxi website and judge for yourself.  I think it's a good investment because who wants the extra fee of having to pay to record your shows?

What if all of a sudden you have to cancel the TiVo service because you can't afford it anymore because of the economy?  You are left with a $600 paper weight.  You can't record anything on it anymore so what good is it?  With Moxi you don't have to worry about that.

Edit: Read the comments before you make your decision.

6 comments:

Wayne sheridan said...

I have been using Moxi for 5 years. I love the software but the hardware has been dismal. Charter has offered the first generation Moxi and Moxi Mate for years. I am on my 5th Box now but since I lease from Charter they have to replace it. I would warn anyone that's thinking about this to check out their cheesy warranty. Cause you could be without MOXI before you ever pay it off.

Mike said...

Oh wow thank you so much for that Wayne. See, if it's too good to be true it probably is.

tish said...

An unfair cost comparison between the two (as every single blog post I've seen that promotes the Moxi as a TiVo alternative).

If someone does plan to keep the TiVo for 10 years, they'd be smarter and better off paying 299 (or is it 399 now? I paid 299 years ago) for Lifetime (of the box) TiVo Service and be done with payments for that box.

And is your $800 versus $600 Moxi versus TiVo hardware comparison for similarly configured devices? (hard disk and storage space)? Off the top of my head, I'd recommend the TiVo HD (for around 250-275 on sale regularly) with the 160 GB hard drive, and an easy-plug-in eSATA space extension drive (even the pricey Western Digital TiVo Supported one is only around 200ish for a 1TB drive, again off the top of my head)! Hardware cost for a 1.16TB TiVo - well under $500

Mike said...

Well at this point I don't see how good the Moxi is because of the first commenter. The Moxi looked really good in the video they showed but I think that a person would probably be better off just leasing a DVR from their cable/satellite company. I got the $800 price from the Moxi website and the $600 from the TiVo site although there are TiVo's that are cheaper, the $600 is the better one TiVo HD XL. But I also got my prices from months ago of doing research.

Edit: I see what you are saying about $299 for service for the lifetime of the product. Yeah good point. So basically if you bought a TiVo HD for $300 and the $300 service you are paying $600 for the lifetime $200 cheaper than Moxi. Makes sense I guess.

Mikes Blog » Blog Archive » TiVo vs Moxi part 2 said...

[...] think that this makes up for my previous post Moxi Vs. TiVo don’t you agree?  When I posted that I was quick on the draw before doing any research into [...]

Cliff said...

I purchased a Moxi a few months ago and absolutely love it. I found the cost of similarly configured Tivo and Moxi devices to equal out after 4-5 years, so cost wasn't a big factor for me, I had a Tivo for 5 years ... There are some things I like better with the MOXI, for instance the HD interface it is really something, It makes far better use of the screen. I enjoy being able to watch a recorded or live show (seeing it clearly in HD) while configuring the device, recording other shows, or browsing live guides. There are a couple of things I liked better with Tivo (being able to undelete an item and lack of confirming item deletions). But all in all I am very happy with the switch from Tivo to Moxi. Well, that is if the hardware doesn't fail before the warranty period ends or before 4-5 years of use.